On behalf of the NNASA board we salute all those on the front-lines fighting COVID_19 and keeping our health system running. May God protect, strengthen and encourage you and fill you with His peace.
We know you are being flooded with news via social media which may or may not be accurate so we thought you might need some official resources to support you in caring for neonates at this difficult time.
The latest guidelines recommend continuing the care you were giving prior to COVID-19. Do not separate mother and baby, continue skin to skin care and continue breast feeding. If the mother is Covid positive with a sick neonate she should not enter the neonatal unit. Isolate a sick covid positive neonate either in an isolation room or closed incubator.
We have attached the following resources which we think you may find useful:
- A link to a website with global perinatal COVID resources
- South African Neonatal algorithm
- South African Pregnancy algorithm
- Commonly asked questions by pregnant mother’s
- Infant and young child feeding statement
- WHO -toolkit for COVID management(not specific to perinatal care but does include)
- KZN paediatric COVID management guideline
- Royal college of paediatrics and child health-COVID management